Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Refinement

The act of purifying by separating from a substance all non essential or unimportant matter; a clearing from scum, dregs; as the refinement of metals. Improving something by making it more sophisticated or effective.

Am I Different? Am I Changing? Am I Growing? Am I Becoming?

Am I Willing to be “Refined?”

Abraham Lincoln said, “I don’t think much of a man who is not wiser than he was yesterday.

Am I willing to put myself through anything? Temporary pain or discomfort must mean nothing to me as long as I can see that the experience will take my life, and those lives around me that I influence to a new level of living.

I am interested in the unknown (as yet) plans and purpose that God has for me.

I am also aware that the only path to the unknown is through breaking the present barriers of my life, and that this is often a painful process.

There is an old Irish proverb I can relate, all too well to….

“You’ve got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather is.”

We will continue to plateau or worse fall backwards if we continue to believe, and attempt today’s assignments with yesterday’s tools.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. ~Ben Franklin

Elmer Towns teaching about personal growth said, “If you want to heat up a fireplace poker, you don’t put it across the room from the fire. No, you put it right IN the fire, right next to the hot coals. And the heat transfers. The key to growth is the same for people. To gain “Heat” for growth, (for Refinement) we need to get close to those who are already hot.” Here are a few simple steps to make that happen:

1. Spend time with Great people.

2. Learn their Great Ideas through CDs, DVDs, Blogs, Tweets, Sermons,

3. Visit Great Places that will Inspire you.

4. Attend Great Events that will prompt you to pursue change.

5. Read Great Books.


Remember: Whatever You Do Today, Do It Better Tomorrow!

If you can Handle the Heat Check out the attached Study Tool….

“The Process Of Refinement….”

See You In Church

Mark & Deb

Your Comments are our reward….Thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This Selah was the strong cup of coffee I needed this morning! I Praise God for you and your timely messages that have helped to strengthen and sustain me over the past several months. I have been waiting and struggling for two and a half years. Waiting has been the answer for so long...Now things are moving to closure (divorce, pre foreclosure, relocation) etc. Each time I get close to an answer or completion...something comes up and I need to wait. I wondered why some events happened yesterday that could have closed the door on two issues. I know this morning that I can wait longer and will know and that the patience will be a refining fire. God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

It's like you always say PM, God loves you just the way you are, but He loves you too much to leave you where you are!

Being refined sounds scary, but I have to put all of my trust in Him! Someone once told me getting saved is like signing a contract with a lot of blanks. God doesn't tell us what He's going to put in all of those blanks- or we'd never sign on! Thanks be to Him who comforts and loves us as He changes us!

Jen King

Anonymous said...

I have been in the fire many times over the past 6 months. It is ALWAYS painful and when I am in the fire, I can't see the "why" through my tears. But afterwards, it is like the beauty of the sun breaking through after a storm. Then I am able to see the "why". I know that the end result will be good and am comforted knowing that the heavenly surgeon never cuts deeper than is absolutely necessary. Knowing who He is enables me to trust Him during the painful refining process.

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks